This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1039985



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ruckley and Langley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 14-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 361562

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


RUCKLEY AND LANGLEY C.P. LANGLEY SJ 50 SW 6/153 Gatehouse approximately 13.6.58 10 metres to north-east of Langley Hall Farmhouse (Formerly listed as Langley Gatehouse) - II*

Gatehouse. Circa 1600 with probably C15 core. Squared and coursed grey sandstone ground floor to south-west with grey sandstone ashlar above, roughly squared and coursed grey sandstone ground floor to south-east, and timber framed to north-east and first floor to south- east with wattle and daub, lath and plaster, and red brick infill, partly rebuilt in red brick to west; stone slate roof. 3 framed bays. 2 storeys and attic. South-west front: chamfered string course and 2 full dormers with coped parapeted gables and 2-light double-chamfered stone mullioned windows, blocked with red brick; central octagonal stone ridge stack with coping and decorative cresting, and external end stack to left has dressed grey sandstone lower part with chamfered plinth and 2 star-plan brick shafts. 4-windows to first floor; 2- and 3-light double-chamfered stone mullioned windows, and small one- light window between first and second from left; large ground-floor, probably C15 pointed archway off-centre to right with continuous double chamfer; boarded door inside archway to right. North-east front: carriageway off-centre to left with chamfered and stopped wooden lintel and flanking large stone buttresses with chamfered offsets; 2 large gabled dormers with moulded barge boards, that to left has C16 three- light stone mullioned window, blocked with red brick,and that to right with exposed king post truss. Framing: close studding with middle rail; square panels with parallel diagonal struts forming lozenge patterns; possibly medieval ground-floor square-panel framing to left with cusped corner brace; first-floor above carriageway rebuilt in C18 with light framing and long straight braces. Ground-floor framing partly removed to right to form 2-bay open-fronted cartshed with part of moulded surround to former doorway at left. First-floor red brick and stone gardrobe in angle of north-west end stack with lean-to stone slate roof and small chamfered square stone window with ogee head. Exposed collar and tie-beam truss with queen struts in gable end to south-east. Interior not inspected but likely to be of interest. Langley Hall was an L-shaped building standing within a moated enclosure to the north-east of the gatehouse. It was a farmhouse by 1717, still standing in 1846 but demolished in the late C19. The present Langley Hall Farmhouse (not included in this list) dates from c.1850 and stands to the south-west-of the gatehouse. There is said to have been an embattled wall adjoining the gatehouse to the north, demolished in 1961. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p. 143; B.O.E., p. 163, H.E. Forrest F.L.S., Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, 1924, p p. 176-9; Salop Records Office, 1846 tithe map (3973/T/2).

Listing NGR: SJ5399900202

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 176-9
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 143
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 163

National Grid Reference: SJ 53999 00202


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039985 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 12:43:09.

End of official listing