CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1040119
Date first listed:
23-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, SEATON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040119.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 01:05:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, SEATON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Harringworth
National Grid Reference:
SP 91660 97444

Details

HARRINGWORTH SEATON ROAD SP9197 (East Side) 11/132 Church of St. John the Baptist 23/05/67 GV I Church. Late C12, C13 and C14, restored 1891. Squared coursed limestone and lias, with ashlar aisle and spire. Lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2- and 3-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch-heads. Square-head priests door, to left of centre, and 2-stage buttress to right of centre. Shallow gabled roof, with plain ashlar parapets. 5-light Perpendicular east window with panel tracery. Flanking, 2-stage, clasping buttresses have carved beasts at upper stage. Shallow gable, with finial, above window. North elevation of chancel is of 2 bays, one-window range, with a 3-light, Perpendicular window, with 4-centred arch-head, to right. 2-stage buttress to centre. South aisle is limestone ashlar, partly banded with lias. 4 bays, 3-window range. 3-light square-head window to far right. 3-light window, with reticulated tracery, to right of centre, and similar window to far left. 2-stage gabled buttresses at corners and between bays, to right. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. 2-light east window with reticulated tracery and 2-light west window with roundel and roll mouldings. Gabled porch, with Collyweston slate roof, to left of centre. Wide outer doorway with 2-centred arch-head, roll moulding, nail-head decoration and one order of shafts. Inner doorway has a 2-centre arch-head with roll moulding and a C15 doorway set in the original opening. This has 4-centred arch-head, decorated spandrels and central deivce, probably a crown. North aisle of 4 bays, 2-window range of 2-light windows to left. North doorway, to right of centre, has 2-centred arch-head, roll moulding and 3 orders of shafts. 2-stage buttresses between bays to left, and right and at corners. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. South nave clerestory of 4-window range of 2-light square-head windows with hood moulds and carved label stops. Shallow gable roof with ashlar parapet and finial. East wall of nave has outline of earlier chancel roof line. North nave clerestory of 4-window range of C15 four-light square-head windows with king mullions and arch-head lights. Late C12 west tower of 3 stages with shallow pilasters at each corner. South-west corner is the stair turret. All angles have lias dressings. Lancet windows to west face of lower stage, and south face of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have 2-centred Transitional arch-heads, with 3 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 4 bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches with octagonal piers and polygonal responds. Similar chancel arch with polygonal responds. Triple-stepped and single-chamfered tower arch with polygonal and stepped responds and waterleaf capitals. Nave and aisle roofs have some original timbers, restored C19. Chancel roof is C19. Trefoil head piscina, to right of altar, bias remains of triple, ogee-head, sedilia alongside. South aisle has piscina and triple sedilia, with carved label stops. Staircase access from south aisle to rood loft. Perpendicular rood screen with one-light divisions and ribbed coving. Restored Jacobean panelled screen to north aisle vestry. Jacobean pulpit dated 1605 originally at Barrowden in Leicestershire. Square font, with trefoil panels at sides, supported on 5 shafts. Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass in aisle and chancel windows. Late C19/early C20 east windows to chancel and south aisle. Hatchment in north aisle. Monuments: Tryon family vault in north aisle forms a raised platform, built in early C18 probably in 2 stages. Central doorway with flight of steps down and 2 flanking flights of steps up. Fine iron railings. Wall monument above platform to 4 generations of Tryons, probably c.1710 has 2 standing cherubs, cherubs heads and garlands with shield at head. Oval inscribed tablet alongside. William Gardiner, d.1719: inscribed brass plaque in floor of nave. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p250; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p81)

Listing NGR: SP9166097444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
232999
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 250
Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08436/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Rockett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].