This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE TITHE BARN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE TITHE BARN

List entry Number: 1040122

Location

THE TITHE BARN, HALL YARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Collyweston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232901

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COLLYWESTON HALL YARD SK9902 (North side) 8/37 No.4 (The Tithe Barn) 23/05/67 (Formerly listed as Dovecote and Barn at Manor Farm)

- II

Tithe barn and attached dovecote, now house. Datestones: E.R. and 1570 or 1578, converted to house late C20. Squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Originally single-unit tithe barn and attached dovecote. Originally single storey, now 2 storeys with attic. Entrance front has C2l porch and flanking C20 casements under wood lintels, to far left and right. 2 C20 eaves dormers to centre. Ashlar gable parapets. Gable to left has pitch hole, now window, under old wood lintel and small window above with moulded stone surround, Gable to right rebuilt C20 incorporating old masonry with initials and datestone on kneelers. Rear elevation has former central cart entrance, now glazed screen, under old reset wood lintel. C20 openings to left and right. 4 C20 eaves dormers. Chamfered plinth steps down diagonally to follow the fall of the ground, attached wall to left is remains of former dovecote which was demolished late C20. Interior: some original rafters visible. Originally part of Collyweston Palace which had been the home of Lady Margret Beaufont until her death in the early C16, and which dismantled about 1640. (RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p33)

Listing NGR: SK9938402844

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: SK 99384 02844

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 03:26:03.

End of official listing