This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1040213



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Benefield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232721

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BENEFIELD TL08NW 4/1 Biggin Hall 23/05/67 GV II*

Country house. Medieval origins, centre range c.1700, entrance front and pavilions mid C18, flanking wings to garden front and domestic offices mid C19. Remodelling and extension to garden front and first floor ranges between pavilions c.191l by H. Biddulph Pinchard and interior remodelling c.1938 by Hon. Claude Yorke for Watts-Russell family. Limestone and lias ashlar with stone slate and lead roofs. Double-pile 2 storeys with attic and basement. Entrance front of 13 bays. Centre 5 bays have portico with pediment supported on 4 giant Ionic columns. fluter columns have a second column behind and a corresponding pilaster, to each end of centre range, supporting a continuation of the entablature. Rear wall of portico has sash windows with plain surrounds. Central 6-panelled door with arch-head fanlight, moulded stone surround and keyblock. Return walls of portico have arch-head niches. Mansard roof behind parapet has 2 dormers with pediments. 4, central, ashlar stacks. Flanking 3 bays, originally of single storey with basement, have sash windows with moulded stone surrounds and cornices. Squared sash windows to basement have plain surrounds. Flat roof to ground floor has first floor range of c.1911 set back, all in similar style. Flanking pavilions have Venetian windows at ground floor and similar tripartite window, with centre pediment, at first floor. Tripartite basement windows. Pediments over each pavilion have dentilled cornices similar to central portico. Recessed band below all ground floor windows. Ashlar stacks at ridge. Side elevations of partitions of 3-window range of sash windows with plain surrounds, some are now blind. Garden front to rear of entrance front of 15 bays. Centre 5 bays of original house have central part-glazed door with c.1911 shell hood. Sash windows with glazing bars have plain ashlar surrounds with keyblocks. Small 2-stage buttresses to left and right. Rusticated quoins and dentilled cornice. C19 mansard roof with central pediment of c.1911 and flanking dormers with pediments. Return walls of centre range have 2-window ranges of sash windows, some are blind and some retain early C18 glazing bars. Flanking 3 bays remodelled 1911 have similar sash windows with limestone ashlar dressings and keyblocks. Mid C19 flanking 2 bays, remodelled 1911 in similar style, break forward as wings with pediments over. Raised bands between floors and limestone ashlar dressings at corners. Central and flanking pediments have plasterwork decoration. Mid C19, 2-storey, domestic office range is attached to far left. Interior: entrance hall, to centre of entrance front, remodelled 1911 when staircase was removed. Front door and corresponding arch-head doorway opposite are flanked by detached columns and pilasters. Drawing room to left of entrance has C18 six-panel doors. Doorcases and cornice with.oakleaves are probably c.1938. C18 style fireplace. Sitting room in pavilion to far left has late C18/early C19 marble fireplace with frieze depicting pastoral scene. Late C18 cornice and Rococo style ceiling. To the rear of this room is a C18 staircase with 3 thin turned balusters per tread. The library to the right of the entrance, originally the dining room, was remodelled 1911. Staircase to right of the library is also c.191l. The dining room in pavilion to far right, originally the kitchen, was remodelled in 1938. The morning room and the study occupy the centre range of the garden front, both probably remodelled c.1911: the morning room has a bolection moulded fire surround and the study has an arch-head niche. Due to the internal alterations of 1911 some first floors do not correspond with window openings. The Manor of Biggin was originally held by the Abbots of Peterborough, at the Dissolution it passed to Katherine Parr, then to the Russell family, and by 1688 to the Marquess of Powis who sold to James Joye in 1724. The Joye family were probably responsible for the entrance front. Jesse Watts-Russell, in whose family the house still remains, bought the estate in 1822. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.105; Gotch, J.A., Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire, p.9; Nares, G., Country Life, November 18th 1954, p.1758-1761 and November 25th 1954, p.1852-1855).

Listing NGR: TL0108889137

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gotch, J A , Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire, (1939), 9
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 105
'Country Life' in 18 November, (1954), 1758-1761
'Country Life' in 25 November, (1954), 1852-1855

National Grid Reference: TL 01088 89137


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040213 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 06:41:38.

End of official listing