CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040231 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:13:15.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TL 11210 87789
LUTTON MAIN STREET
TL18NW (East side)
10/98 Church of St. Peter
Church. C12 origins, mainly C13 to C15, restored C19. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings and lead roof. Aisled nave, chancel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 2 bays. Left bay has 2 windows with a 4-light window to left, with trefoil and quatrefoil circles and spherical triangle above. Small, blocked, lowside windows below left hand light. Lancet window to right. Right hand bay has blocked square-head window with hood mould and remains of carved label stops. Triangle of ashlar masonry above window head. C19 two-stage buttress between bays. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet and finial. 3-light east window of 1883 has plate tracery. Shallow, single-stage, buttresses at corners. North elevation of chancel of 4 bays. C19 lancet, in bay to right, has medieval low-side lancet below. C19 lateral stack, to right of centre bay, and C19 two-stage buttresses between bays. South aisle of 3 bays. 3-light window in right hand bay, probably reset, has truncated head. Left bay is blank. Single-stage clasping buttresses at corners. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. 2-light square-head east window and 2-light west window with 4-centred arch head. Central porch has double chamfered outer arch with one order of shafts, hood mould and carved label stops. C15 inner door has 4-centred arch head and roll mouldings. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet. North aisle of 3 bays; 2-window range. 2-light windows to left and right. Left hand window has ogee-head lights, segmental head and raised ashlar surround with square head. Right hand window has 4-centred arch head. North door, in centre bay, has 4-centred arch tread. 2-stage gabled buttresses between bays and at left hand corner. 2-stage clasping buttresses to right hand corner. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. 2-light square-head east window and single lancet west window. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light windows under 4-centred arch heads. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Perpendicular west tower of 3 stages with plinth. 6-stage ashlar pilasters at corners. Lower stage of west face is ashlar. West door has 4-centred arch head with moulded stone surround. 2-light west window, above, has hollow reveals and 4-centred arch head. Slit window to each face of second stage. 4-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage, have transoms, hollow reveals and 4-centred arch heads. Castellated ashlar parapets with gargoyles at corners. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches. Mid C13 north arcade with circular piers, octagonal abaci and nailhead decoration. Late C13/early C14 south arcade with quatrefoil piers. Polygonal responds with corbelled heads. Carved-head label stops to south arcade. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal bracket responds. Double-chamfered tower arch with semi-circular responds. Piscina, to right of altar, has double arch head with rosette in centre. Easter Sepulchre, to left of altar, has 6 panels with cusping set under 4-centred arch head. The middle 2 panels are stopped to form a square blank panel. Nave roof has original shallow arched braced trusses with moulded cross beams. Carved angel and bosses. North aisle has some original moulded beams. South aisle and chancel roofs are C19. Lancet, in south wall of chancel, has shafted reveals. Fragments of reset carved masonary to south pier of chancel arch and south wall of south aisle. Fragment of Saxon interlaced sculpture, reset in north wall of tower. Jacobean communion rail. C19 furnishings and C19 plain glass to all windows. Octagonal font with quatrefoil base. Monuments: Adlard Apreece, died 1608. Small kneeling figure in square recess to right of altar; flanking pilasters have heraldic devices, inscribed tablet below and heraldic divice above. Robert, William and Robert Apreece, c1633. Three frontal kneeling figures to left of altar, flanking detached columns supporting a cornice with arched centre section over heraldic device. Inscribed panels below. John Loftus died 1657; brass wall plaque to right of altar. Various C17 inscribed floor tablets to Apreece family set in sanctuary floor. Some masonry may be reset from Washingley Church which was incorporated into the living of Lutton C15. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p299; RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: pl18)
Listing NGR: TL1121087789
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 299
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing