RETAINING WALL, STEPS AND URNS EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES FROM SOUTH TO EAST FRONT OF DRAYTON HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1040299

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: RETAINING WALL, STEPS AND URNS EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES FROM SOUTH TO EAST FRONT OF DRAYTON HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RETAINING WALL, STEPS AND URNS EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES FROM SOUTH TO EAST FRONT OF DRAYTON HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040299 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 17:55:06.

Location

Statutory Address: RETAINING WALL, STEPS AND URNS EXTENDING APPROXIMATELY 80 METRES FROM SOUTH TO EAST FRONT OF DRAYTON HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Lowick

National Grid Reference: SP 96375 80078

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP9680 LOWICK DRAYTON PARK

12/81 Retaining wall, steps and urns extending approx. 80m. from S to E front of Drayton House

GV II*

Retaining wall, steps and urns. Probably late C16 for the third Lord Mordaunt, early C18 urns probably by J. Van Nost. Squared coursed limestone wall with small lead urns mounted on ashlar parapet. Flight of semi-circular steps, at west end, flanked by square piers surmounted by closed lead urns. Originally probably the southern boundary of the main parterre on the east side of Drayton House (q.v.). (Gardens included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade I. Cornforth, J., Country Life, 20th May, 1965, p.1216; Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.189; Jackson-Stops G, Drayton House, 1978).

Listing NGR: SP9637580078

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 232515

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jackson Stops, G, Drayton House, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 189
'Country Life' in 20 May, (1965), 1216
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,

End of official listing