CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1040418

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040418 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 19:44:51.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Sulgrave

National Grid Reference: SP 55690 45342

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SULGRAVE CHURCH STREET SP54NE (North side) 4/155 Church of St. James 4/2/69

GV II*

Church. C13-C16. C19 roof pitch of nave and chancel altered and much window tracery re-newed; north aisle added in 1885. Coursed limestone rubble and coursed squared stone, old tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, north and south porches, west tower. East window of chancel, C19. South-east window of chancel: Decorated, 2-lights with flowing tracery. South-west window of chancel: Perpendicular, 2-lights with square head and panel tracery. Low-side window below has trefoiled arch under square head. All windows in south aisle Decorated, 2-lights with C19 tracery and original hoods with head stops. South porch, datestone 1564 (renewed C20) has 4-centred arch under square hood, spandrels carved with rosettes. Inner doorway, C14, has arch with continuous mouldings, hood with head stops and C19 plank door. West tower, C13 of 3 stages has trefoiled lancets in the ground stage and C13 two-light bell openings. West doorway, probably Saxon with triangular stone head. Not in situ. Said to have been removed from an earlier church which stood north-west of the present village. North aisle has re-used C14 doorway with continuous mouldings. Entrance to north porch, also C14, has moulded arch with ball flower decoration. Interior: Perpendicular south arcade, 4 bays, octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. C14-C15 piscina recess with trefoiled head in south aisle. Chancel arch, probably C15, has two continuous chamfered orders. Large C14 carved stone heads of a king and queen reset in north and south walls of chancel. Font, probably c.1660, has octagonal bowl with leaf ornament. Stained glass shields with arms of the Washington family in east window of south aisle, probably C16, not in situ. Brass, at east end of south aisle to Amy Washington died 1564, and her husband Lawrence. died 1584. Fragmentary part of male figure, figures of children and a shield remain. Wall monument to John, and Moses Hodges, died 1724, grey and white marble with fluted pilasters. Chest, said to be C14 in south aisle, wood, with closely spaced studded iron bands. The church is shown in a drawing of c.1820 by George Washington Smith, now at Sulgrave Manor. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.421; H. Clifford Smith: Sulgrave Manor and The Washingtons, London 1933).

Listing NGR: SP5569045342

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 234184

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 421
Smith, H C, Sulgrave Manor and The Washingtons, (1933)

End of official listing