THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1040498

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1985

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, QUEENS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:50:19.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, QUEENS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Culworth

National Grid Reference: SP 54492 46955

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULWORTH QUEENS STREET SP5446 (North side) 11/38 The Old Rectory

GV II

House, formerly rectory. 1854 with extensions in 1869. By E F. Law for the Reverend Charles Hill. Datestone 1854/C.S.H, on left side. Ironstone ashlar, Limestone dressings, roof covered by snow at time of survey, brick stacks. L-plan. Elaborate Gothic Revival. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays. Main block to left, 3 bays, has central castellated tower with doorway under pointed stone arch and double half-glazed dour. Gabled bay to right has canted bay window with stone mullions on the ground floor. 3-light stone mullioned and transomed window to left. 2-light stone mullioned window in left bay on first floor. Window of 2 trefoil-headed lights above entrance, and of 3-trefoiled lights to right. Attic windows in right gable and tower, each 2 trefoil-headed lancets. Lower wing set back to right, of 2 irregular gabled bays, has 3-light stone mullioned windows on the ground floor, that to left with transom. Trefoil shaped window in left bay on the first floor. 2 pointed lights with transom in right bay. Interior: Stone staircase with iron balustrade. Marble fireplaces. Ornamental plaster cornices. Stained glass screen at entrance to hall with roundels painted with views of church and rectory. Said to have been built at the expense of The Rev. Charles Hill's father-in-law, a Birmingham bujinessman, (Buildings-of England: Northamptonshire, p.172).

Listing NGR: SP5449246955

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 234067

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 172

End of official listing