CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1040676
Date first listed:
28-May-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
13-May-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL, MAIN STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 16:00:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND PAUL, MAIN STREET
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Wellingborough (District Authority)
Parish:
Sywell
National Grid Reference:
SP 82167 67210

Details

SYWELL MAIN STREET SP8267 (South side) 15/302 Church of St. Peter and Paul 28/05/54 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Peter and St. Paul)

GV II*

Church. C12, C13 and C14, chancel rebuilt 1862, south aisle and north chapel rebuilt and tower heightened 1870 by J. Maners. Regular coursed and squared coursed lias and ashlar with plain-tile and lead roof. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north chapel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of one window range with 2-light window and door to left having moulded label stops. Gable roof with ashlar parapets, finials and kneelers. 3-light east window has intersecting tracery. North elevation of chancel of one blank bay with inscribed tablet, "Rebuilt 1862 Rev'd R. Baillie Rector". North vestry projection has 2-light east window. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with cusped tracery. 3-light east and west windows. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Gabled porch with finial to left of centre has double-chamfered opening with octagonal responds. Inner door is probably late C12 masonry reset in C19. North transept has 3-light north window and gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and finial. North elevation of nave has one C14 four-light square head window with arch head lights, north door to right. Nave clerestory to south of 3-window range of C19 two-light windows. Ashlar parapets and shallow gabled roof. C13 west tower has aisle abutting to the south and is of 2 stages with a plinth. C19 polygonal staircase turret to lower stage of west face has C14 two-light square head window above enclosed by string course with similar 2-light bell-chamber opening above. C13 two-light bell chamber openings to north and south faces have plate tracery. Double lancet bell chamber opening to east face. Castellated parapet with central gargoyles and short gabled corner pinnacles. Interior: 3-bay south arcade of C19 pointed arches with roll mouldings and circular piers with Romanesque style capitals. Similar chamfered chancel arch has bracketed capital and flat respond. West tower arch is C13, double-chamfered, with a quatrefoil respond to the north wall and quatrefoil pier to the south which forms one of a group of 3 piers supporting the corner of the tower at this point: the other 2 being a C19 circular pier with a C12 square abaci and some C12 masonry and a similar C19 copy. South tower arch is similar to the south arcade. North chapel has C19 double-chamfered arch with quatrefoil responds and foliated capital. Various C19 roof structures. South aisle has C13 reset piscina. Reset C14 tomb recess in north transept. Monuments: north aisle reset, Robert Willmer died 1612; marble tablet flanked by detached columns on plinth with entablature and heraldic device over. Lady Mary Willmer died 1729; marble tablet with pediment, urn and garlands over. Various C19 marble tablets to Pell and Robertson families. Stained glass east window has reset heraldic glass dated 1580. C20 glass to north nave window. 2 octagonal fonts one C13, the other C19. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.422).

Listing NGR: SP8216767210

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
233587
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 422

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00556/02
Rights: Copyright IoE A G Lucas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].