Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040692.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:34:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wellingborough (District Authority)
Mears Ashby
National Grid Reference:
SP 83846 66653


MEARS ASHBY CHURCH STREET SP8366 (West side) 16/241 Church of All Saints 28/05/54 GV II*

Church. C12 to C14. Chancel and vestry rebuilt 1859 by A. Buckeridge. Regular coursed and squared coursed lias with ashlar dressings and lead and plain-tile roof. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South elevation of chancel of 2-window range of 2-light square-headed windows with carved label stops. Window to left has re-used C14 tracery. South door between windows has plain arch head. Steep pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finial. C19 east window. North elevation of chancel is similar, of one-window range. Vestry attached to east of north aisle is similar to chancel and is of one bay with square-headed north door, and 3-light east window. South aisle of 3-window range of 2-light C13 windows with Y-tracery. 3-light C19 east window and 2-light square head C14 west window. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet. Blocked tomb recess below centre window. C14 gabled porch to left of centre has pointed outer arch with octagonal responds and C12 semi-circular double stepped inner arch. North aisle of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed windows; similar west window. North door to right of centre has pointed arch head. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of C14 two-light square-headed windows. Shallow pitched roof with castellated parapet and 2 gargoyles to each side. Short west tower of 3 stages with 3-stage angle buttresses to lower stage. Upper stage has triple arcade to each face with double-chamfered pointed arches and blank centre opening flanked by bell-chamber openings. Corbel table above with castellated parapet and short octagonal pinnacles at corners. 2 rainwater heads on east face have inscriptions, "Will. Harris. Will. Farrow" and "1640". Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of double-chamfered arches with octagonal responds. C19 roof structure. Piscina in south aisle partly restored C19 also niche between windows. Remains of medieval wall painting over chancel arch depicting the"Doom". Saxon wheel head cross on south aisle window sill. C19 reredos to east end of chancel. C12 octagonal font with rosettes and interlace decoration. Stained glass: chancel east window by Clayton and Bell, south aisle east window c.1859 by A. Lusson. C19 and C20 stained glass to belfry window and 2 south aisle windows. Pre-reforaation alms box in nave. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.303).

Listing NGR: SP8384666653


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 303


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10812/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].