MEARS ASHBY HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1040699

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Statutory Address: MEARS ASHBY HALL, WIBLY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MEARS ASHBY HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 01:43:30.

Location

Statutory Address: MEARS ASHBY HALL, WIBLY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough (District Authority)

Parish: Mears Ashby

National Grid Reference: SP 83977 66416

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP8366 16/260 28/05/54

MEARS ASHBY WILBY ROAD (South side) Mears Ashby Hall

GV II*

Country House. Dated 1637 for Thomas Clenden, probably earlier origins, extended C18 and 1859 by A. Salvin for Stockdale family. Lias ashlar with Collyweston slate roof. Originally E-plan, Jacobean style. 2 storeys with attics. Main front of 7-window range. 5-window range to left is the original house. Central 3 storey porch has arched entrance flanked by pairs of fluted Roman Doric columns supporting an entablature and cornice. C19 panelled door. Blank arch above entrance has initials T.C. Dutch gable with attic window having a curved head is surmounted by an open circle with obelisk. Bays to left and right of porch have small gables with stepped head attic windows. Flanking bays break forward with large gables. 3- and 4-light stone-mullioned windows. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers with finials at eaves and apex. Ashlar stacks at ridge. 2-window range to right was added by Salvin in similar style. 4- and 6-light stone mullioned and transomed windows. Short square tower with conical roof abuts the main house and has a gable breaking forward to the right. Rainwater heads have dates 1637, Garden front to right is similar and by Salvin with squared stone bay to the left and a gable to the right. Rear elevation has 3 gables of original house to right and 1859 extension with datestone to left. c.1859 single-storey range to centre. Interior: entrance hall has fielded panelling. C18 staircase with half landing and fluted balustrades. Staircase to Salvin wing has large Griffin head newels, room to rear has C20 painted ceiling. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.304; Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire: J. A. Gotch, p.29).

Listing NGR: SP8397766416

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 233544

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gotch, J A , Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire, (1939), 29
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 304

End of official listing