Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1040750

Date first listed: 28-May-1954



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:52:08.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough (District Authority)

Parish: Hardwick

National Grid Reference: SP 85068 69777


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SP86NE 4/179 28/05/54

HARDWICK MAIN STREET (South side) Church of St. Leonard


Church. C13, C14 and mid C19. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone and ironstone with ashlar dressings and lead and stone slate roof. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel is of one-window range with 2-light window to left with small lancet below. South door to right of window. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar cornice, gable parapets, and finial. 4-light, C14, east window has roundels with cusping. North elevation of chancel is similar to south with 2-light window to left. Fragments of masonry depicting a head to right. Mid C19 south aisle is of segmented coursed ironstone with lean-to roof and has 4-window range of 2-light windows. Similar east and west windows, ashlar cornice, gable parapets and kneelers. South nave clerestory is of 2-window range of 2-light windows with C19 reticulated tracery. North elevation of nave of 3-window range of 2-light ogee headed windows with C19 renewed tracery. Mid C19 gabled porch to right of centre has ashlar gable parapets and finial and Collyweston slate roof. C13 west tower of 3 stages has single lancet to west face of lower stage. Large 2-stage buttresses at abutment with nave. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Remains of corbel table above. Castellated ashlar parapet was probably rebuilt 4 courses above the original corbel table. Interior: C13 four-bay south arcade of double-chamfered arches on circular piers. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds. Double-chamfered tower arch with plain responds. C19 roof structures. C19 font supported on detached columns. Pulpit 1860, marble, with trefoils and quatrefoils decorated with mosaic. C19 coloured glass to all windows. Monument, south wall of chancel, Sir Francis Nicolls died 1642, is brass panel with 4 kneeling figures in painted alabaster surround with heraldic device above flanked by short obelisks. Four C17 brass tablets to left of chancel steps to Nicolls and Bagshawe families. Black stone tablet to right of chancel steps to William Baker died 1733. Similar tablet to Sarah Baker died 1732 at rear of nave. Various other inscribed floor tablets. Pre-reformation bell in lower stage of tower has Latin inscription. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.245).

Listing NGR: SP8506869777


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 233461

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 245

End of official listing