THE CHANTRY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1040820
Date first listed:
01-Dec-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
18-May-1988
Statutory Address:
THE CHANTRY, BOZENHAM MILL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040820.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2021 at 04:30:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE CHANTRY, BOZENHAM MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
West Northamptonshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Grafton Regis
National Grid Reference:
SP 75870 46854

Details

GRAFTON REGIS BOZENHAM MILL LANE SP7546 (North side) 13/41 The Chantry 01/12/51 (Formerly listed as Manor House and Lodge)

6V II*

House and barn, formerly stable and barn, ororiginally gatehouse dwelling and north service building. Mid/Late C16, C19 and C20 altertions. Coursed square limestone and limestone limestone and iirr+stace rubble, plain-tile roof, brick end and ridge stacks. 2-storey, 5-bay range. Elevation facing road to south has two large blocked windows with roughly 4-centred heads; that to right has smaller blocked opening with wood lintel. Irregular glazing of 1-, 2- and 3-light casement windows with wood lintels. Off-set buttress near left angle. Left end elevation has 3 ventilation slits, right end elevation has C20 door with wood lintel and carved stone head above. Rear elevation has four 3-light stone arch mullion windows with cut spandrels, that to centre of range C20 and replacing door, plank door to far right with wood lintel. Pair of C20 leaded casement windows to lst floor left of centre and loft door to right of centre, all between ground floor windows. Interior: dwelling has large chamfered spine beam. Late medieval 5-bay roof over whole building has massive stop-chamfered cambered tie beams to principal rafters with queen struts to collars and 2 tiers of purlins. Original rafters throughout. The building was probably a gatehouse range similar in form to that of Northborough, Cambs. Grafton was a royal manor in C16, and work is recorded here in 1520s-80s. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p227. H Colvin: History of the Kings Works Vol IV, 1485-1660, pt II, 1982: p92-6; information from C T P Woodfield.) (1259)

Listing NGR: SP7587046854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235278
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 227
Summerson, C, Biddle, M, Hale, J R, Merriman, M, 'History of The Kings Works' in History of the Kings Works 1485-1660 Part 2, , Vol. 4, (1982), 92-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].