This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1040927

Location

THE OLD SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Abthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Dec-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235032

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ABTHORPE SCHOOL LANE SP64NE (East side) 6/14 The Old School 01/12/51 (Formerly listed as School at North East end of the village)

GV II

School, now parish hall. Dated 1642, extended 1868. Coursed squared limestone, banded with ironstone, plain-tile roof, stone end stack. Two-unit plan. 2-storey, 3-window range with one-window addition. Central 2-light hollow-chamfered stone mullion window with hood mould, flanked by similar 3-light windows. Ironstone panel above central window inscribed "JANE LEESON/HATH BUILDED/THIS HOUS FOR/4 FREE SCHOOLE/FOR EVER", Datestone above inscribed "1642/FEARE GOD/HONOUR YE KING". Central dormer window with 2-light stone mullion window with hood mould. Chamfered ironstone plinth and stone coped gable to left with kneelers (coping and kneelers of ironstone). C19 addition to right takes form of cross-wing with large 5-light stone mullion and transom window to ground floor with hood mould, blank panel above, and 2-light stone mullion window in gable with hood mould: ironstone quoins, stone-coped gables with kneelers and bell-cote to front gable. Central ogee- and hollow-chamfered stone doorway to rear with 4-centred head, cut spandrels, panel above carved with 3 fleur-de-lys and hood mould; old studded plank door with ornamental hinges. Interior has open fireplace with chamfered cambered bressumer and first floor fireplace with cambered ogee-stop-chamfered bressumer. C19 arch-braced collar truss roofs. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.75).

Listing NGR: SP6503046602

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 75

National Grid Reference: SP 65030 46602

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040927 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:08:12.

End of official listing