MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041127
Date first listed:
11-Sep-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
22-May-1985
Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:00:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
MANOR HOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Thorpe Mandeville
National Grid Reference:
SP 53314 44965

Details

THORPE MANDEVILLE MAIN STREET SP54SW (East side) 7/229 Manor House 11/09/53

- II*

Manor House. Early C18. Built for the Gostelowe family. Enlarged mid C19 and c.1936 by Oliver Hill. Ironstone ashlar, limestone quoins and dressings, stone slate roof, stone stacks. C18 house has double depth plan. C19 and C20 additions to rear forming rectangular plan with small courtyard. South front (original entrance): 2 storeys and cellar, 5 bays. 3 central bays project under large open segmental pediment and urn. Central doorway approached by 4 semi-circular stone steps has eared architrave framed by Ionic columns, pulvinated frieze and scroll pediment enclosing oval cartouche with coat of arms of Rebecca Orelebar who married Richard Gostelowe, 1696. C20 glazed door. Windows on either side have moulded stone frames and 8-pane sashes. First floor windows have similar frames and 15-pane sashes. In outer bay to left is C20 bay window on ground floor. 8-pane sash window in right outer bay. 20-pane sashes in moulded frames. Outer bays, first floor have moulded stone entablature. Hipped roof. Left (west) side, now main entrance, remodelled C19 and C20. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central stone porch with straight parapet, and entrance with moulded segmental arch with keystone. Half glazed double doors with side lights and fanlight. Inner doorway similar. C19 windows on outer side with segmental stone heads and sashes with side lights. Similar windows on first floor. Wing to left C19, 2 storeys, 3 bays with hipped roof. Sash windows with segmental heads on ground floor and bay window in second bay from right. Sash windows on first floor with triagular pediments. East front, 2 storeys, 5 bays, has central 2-storey bay window flanked by windows with moulded stone frames and 16-pane sashes. Extension to right C20. Two storeys, 4 bays. Interior: Remodelled c.1936 by Oliver Hill. Hall enlarged to include room on left and scagliola columns were introduced, framing approach to staircase. Early C18 staircase with twisted balusters and carved tread ends. Drawing Room to right has early C18 bolection moulded panelling and bolection moulded stone fireplace. Double E-panelled doors to study, also with bolection panelling. Smoking Room, left of hall has C20 panelling and fireplaces Present dining room formed out of old kitchen. Gardens laid out c.1936 by Oliver Hill. The Manor was purchased from the Kirton family c.1685 by Thomas Gostelowe of Wardington, (died 1702). He was succeeded by his son Richard Gastelowe who married Rebecca Orlebar 1696, their son, also Richard sold the estate 1723-4. The house was used as a preparatory school for Eton, 1854-82. The Old Manor House, damaged in the civil war, stood west of the church. (G.T. Baker, Northamptonshire 1822-41, Vol.1, p.718-24, A. 0swald, 'Thorpe Mandeville Manor', Country Life 20th August 1938).

Listing NGR: SP5331444965

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234503
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Baker, G T, Northamptonshire 1822-41718-24
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1938)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12664/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Julia Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].