CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1041243

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, B6341

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 14:31:15.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, B6341

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hepple

National Grid Reference: NT 98451 00608

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEPPLE B 6341 NY 90 SE (South side) 2/31 Christ Church 21.10.53 GV II

Parish church. 1897 by C. Hodgson Fowler. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Late Perpendicular style. Nave and chancel with south porch and north vestry.

3-bay nave has porch in left bay and two 3-light windows with 4-centred heads to lights. Sill string.

2-bay chancel has similar windows and string. Chancel and nave divided by large buttress with 3 offsets. The chancel windows are set slightly higher than the nave windows. East end blank except for recessed panel with a cross and 4 small crosses between the arms.

Gabled roof with flat coping, kneelers and cross finials. The chancel eaves are slightly swept and slightly higher than the nave. Between chancel and nave a very short battered tower with slate-hung lower portion, louvred timber bell stage and spirelet with swept, overhanging eaves.

Interior: Tripartite screen with Tudor-arched openings. Wooden canted chancel arch and canted wooden barrel-vaulted ceilings. Interior gains much of its impact from its painted colour scheme.

Large reredos of 1903 has painting of the crucifixion and panels with angels. East wall has linenfold panelling, chancel south wall has enriched linenfold. South window of 1901 with figures of St. Aidan, St. Gregory and St. Oswald. Altar front of 1934 has painting of descent from the cross.

Font, from the old church, C12 bowl on C19 stem; one figure remains beneath a round arch, more have worn away. In nave north wall a C14 grave cover with foliated cross. In the corner of the nave a small medieval headstone with an incised cross.

Listing NGR: NT9845100608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236271

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing