CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1041296

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 02:03:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alwinton

National Grid Reference: NT 92401 05777

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALWINTON LOW ALWINTON NT 90 NW 14/10 Church of St.Michael 21/10/53

GV II*

Parish church. Chancel, north aisle wall, east end of nave and lower part of south transept C12. The rest largely rebuilt 1851 by Pickering. Dressed and snecked stone. Welsh and Scottish slate roofs.

Nave with west bellcote, and aisles, chancel with north vestry, south transept.

West end has 2 tall lancets and smaller lancets to aisles. 3-bay nave has pointed-arched south doorway and lancet windows. Clerestory has 2-light windows with shouldered lintels.

Chancel has priest's door With renewed shouldered lintel. One original C12 south window, one 2-light Decorated window with original tracery, and 2 'low side' lancet windows. C19 Decorated east window.

Transept has cross-shaped carving in gable, dated TSA 1672 for Thomas and Ann Selby.

Interior: Probably original but re-cut C13 north arcade with ocatagonal piers and double-chamfered pointed arches. South arcade and chancel arch are of 1851.

10 steps up to chancel which has crypt below, now vault of Clennel family.

Chancel: shouldered rend arches to low side windows. Deeply-splayed reveals to C12 south window. The Decorated window.has pointed rere arch. C13 or C14 piscina in pointed-arched recess.

Plain round font on thick round stem with moulded base, probably C12 or C13. Two table tombs in north aisle both with finely inscribed marble tops. One is of 1701/2 to Thomas Clennel. The other of 1745 has moulded side panels with excellent angel and memento mori. South aisle: Percival Clennel, 1796 by Jobling of Gateshead.

Northumberland County History : Vol. 14.

Listing NGR: NT9240105777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236096

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, , Vol. 14, (1935)

End of official listing