CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041345
Date first listed:
28-Jul-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, PLESSEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041345.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 01:35:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, PLESSEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Blyth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 31782 81469

Details

BLYTH PLESSEY ROAD NZ 3181 SE (South side) 12/41 Church of St. Cuthbert 28.7.50 GV II* Parish church, 1884-93 by W.S. Hicks. Snecked tooled stone with ashlar dressings; except for porch, oak on stone base. Lakeland slate roof. Cruciform plan with western porch to narthex; vestries, broad unaisled nave, central tower and small sanctuary. Free C14 style. Porch in form of lych gate in timber-framed C15 style, into flat-roofed narthex with diagonal buttresses and moulded parapet. Slightly narrower 4-bay nave with crocketed pinnacles flanking 4-light west window above narthex roof. Side walls with stepped buttresses and 2- or 3-light windows. Transepts each have angle buttresses, doors on west and two 2-light windows in each end. Tower with big diagonal buttresses at western angles and octagonal south-east stair turret; 2-light bell openings and string with gargoyles below stepped embattled parapet. Sanctuary with setback buttresses, 5-light east window and 2-light window on each side wall. Gables with moulded coping; finial crosses on east and west ends. Patterned rainwater heads dated 1884.

Interior: Plastered, except for crossing and sanctuary with alternating dressings of pink and buff stone. Crossing has semi-octagonal piers and capitals differing in detail; smaller arches set obliquely between nave and transepts. Nave has panelled barrel roof on carved embattled wall-plate with cusped panels, and coved eaves; wainscoting also panelled and embattled. West door and window in tall double-chamfered arch. Tower has wood lierne vault with carved bosses. Sanctuary has panelled barrel roof with bosses and richly- carved embattled wall-plate; piscina, sedilia, panelled walls. Carved stone font with conical cover. Good late C19 glass in nave, some by Percy Bacon Bros. of London. In narthex is entrance lobby with coffered ceiling.



Listing NGR: NZ3178281469

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236006
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/01907/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Erik Borg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].