ARCOT HALL GOLF CLUB ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1041350

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1983

Statutory Address: ARCOT HALL GOLF CLUB ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDING, A1068

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARCOT HALL GOLF CLUB ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041350 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 14:35:46.

Location

Statutory Address: ARCOT HALL GOLF CLUB ATTACHED WALLS AND OUTBUILDING, A1068

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cramlington

National Grid Reference: NZ 24648 75156

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CRAMLINGTON A 1068 NZ 27 NW (East side, off) 3/53 Arcot Hall Golf Club, attached 31.10.83 walls and outbuilding GV II Country house, now club. Late C18 for George Shum-Storey; south block dated 1805 with initials R S (Robert Storey?) on rainwater head; service wings mid C19. Original house has whitewashed tooled ashlar front and brick rear; south block brick, rendered and whitewashed. Roofs Lakeland slate except for lead half-dome on bow. Original house and south block form L plan, with service wings to north.

Entrance (south) front is 1805 block; 3 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Central Roman Doric porch with pilasters and triglyph frieze; renewed half-glazed door under keyed archivolt flanked by 4-pane fixed windows under keyed round arches. Tripartite sashes to lower floors except for one C20 window. 4-pane sashes to 2nd floor; sill bands. Hipped roof with corniced flanking stacks, that to left with tripartite shaft, that to right rendered.

East front in 3 parts: 3-storey, 3-bay centre has central 3-window bow. Plinth, sill bands and moulded eaves cornice stepped up over slightly taller bow. Contemporary 2-storey, 3-bay part to left, linked to centre by narrow recessed bay with renewed door, has bands carried through from centre, and moulded eaves cornice. Sash windows, mostly with glazing bars, some renewed,those in bow curved on plan. Set back on far left, screen wall, covering single-storey outbuilding, has shaped coped gable. Right part is west end of 1805 block, with dated rainwater head; arched 1st floor window with coloured margined glazing, reputedly lighting domestic chapel.

To rear, single-storey domestic wing with 2 parallel gabled roofs each with a tall banded ridge stack; contemporary yard with tall flat-coped wall on north.

Interior: Lounge retains coved anthemion cornice, dining room modillion cornice and ornamental ceiling rose.lst floor rooms with good cornices and fielded-panel doors, formerly centre-hinged. Lounge fireplace flanked by fluted shafts with leafy capitals, carrying lintel with medallions.

Historical note: George Shum adventured in India and was present at the siege of Arcot, a fortified town near Madras. He married the daughter of Robert Storey, taking the name Shum-Storey.

Altered outbuilding range to north of walled yard is not of special interest.



Listing NGR: NZ2464875156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236017

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing