POTTERGATE TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041444
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
POTTERGATE TOWER, POTTERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of POTTERGATE TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041444.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:33:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
POTTERGATE TOWER, POTTERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alnwick
National Grid Reference:
NU 18405 13485

Details

POTTERGATE 1. 5330 (West End) Pottergate Tower NU 1813 SW 4/98 NU 1813 NW 3/98 20.2.52. II* 2. Formerly part of the town's defences. Rebuilt 1768 to a design by Mr Henry Bell with a crown spire (removed in 1812). Gothick, with ornament to east. Two stages: archway with barrel vaulted passage of 3 ribs on ground floor; blind tracery panels on 1st floor which has a large ogee window with perpendicular type tracery. Open embattled parapet. Diagonal buttresses with 4 stages of blind cusped arches having crocketted labels; stunted tops. Above archway is a St Michael and Dragon, a blank roundel (formerly with a clock) and a memorial tablet: "This tower was rebuilt at the expense of the Borough of Alnwick and the new foundation laid April 28 AD. 1768. John Grey Senior, William Hindmarsh, Robert Richardson, Edward Bell, Chamberlain. To the north and south are fragments possibly of the old town walls. North, south and west fronts plainer with occasional arrow slit. Staircase in north-west corner.

Listing NGR: NU1840613487

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235835
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02055/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alastair Cochrane. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].