This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1041516



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Alnwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235627

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BONDGATE WITHIN 1. 5330 (North Side) Nos 18 and 20 (The White Swan Hotel) NU 1813 SE 1/148 II GV Former coaching inn and still the principal hotel, Included for group value and Listed because of its interior. Mid-late C19 front. Two storeys and attic. Ten windows. Ashlar built, stringy over ground floor, cill string to 1st floor, moulded eaves cornice. Slate roof with 3 chimneys. Five pedimented and scroll sided dormers and 4 circular dormer windows. Late glazed sash windows with moulded architraves and cill brackets The 3 left band ground floor bays break forward slightly with channelled rustication: an arcade of 3 bays; central entrance, with stone balcony over, to garage flanked by arcaded fanlight headed windows. Fourth bay from right also breaks forward slightly on ground floor with channelled masonry and an arch headed main entrance with a stone balcony annexe. The interior has the remarkable 'Olympic Room' at the back salvaged from the sister ship of the Titanic which was broken up at Jarrow in 1935. 59x63 ft and 12 ft 3 ins high in the Louis XV style the details being taken from the Palace of Versailles" Three and a half bays with a bay window to north and to east; 3 aisles. Large ornamental fireplace on west wall with richly carved frame to mirror above. Panelled walls with carved festoons particularly at doorway.

Listing NGR: NU1882813320

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 18812 13279


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041516 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 01:44:37.

End of official listing