58 and 60 Bondgate Within

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1041521

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1952

Statutory Address: 58 AND 60, BONDGATE WITHIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of 58 and 60 Bondgate Within
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041521 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 12:10:23.

Location

Statutory Address: 58 AND 60, BONDGATE WITHIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Alnwick

National Grid Reference: NU 18637 13390

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 1813 SE 1/26 BONDGATE WITHIN (north side) Numbers 58 and 60

20.2.52

GV II Said to have been originally built from stone taken from the 1st Abbey burnt in the C12. Probably medieval in basic structure but very much altered. C16 or C17 as it is now with later alterations. Two storeys with steep pitched slate roof and 2 brick chimneys, one in centre (formerly with gigantic breast), one to right. No 58 has 2 windows, C19 glazing bar sashes, with a rendered front; No 60 rubble built, a modern casement to left and a blind window to right with Percy Crescent and Lion under a Tudor label. Shop front to No 58 has carved fascia scrolls and doorway set between windows; No 60 has smaller 2 light shop window with door to right and bracketted fascia. To right of this is doorway to throughpassage in which on the east wall is built a de Vesci shield (with a cross patonce); the throughpassage terminates in an old, now rendered, round headed arch. In the wall of a former hatter's shop at the rear of the premises are a medieval corbel head and a shaft ring.

Listing NGR: NU1865013409

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 235635

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing