2, BAILIFFGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041547
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
2, BAILIFFGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2, BAILIFFGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041547.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 18:17:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
2, BAILIFFGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Alnwick
National Grid Reference:
NU 18578 13593

Details

BAILIFFGATE 1. 5330 (North Side) No 2 NU 1813 NE 2/3 20.2.52. II* G 2. The Duchess's Girls School, formerly Derwentwater House. Reputedly built in 1797. Three storeys and basement. Five windows. Plain ashlar, ground floor plat band, cornice and parapet. Glazing bar sash Windows. Central doorway with side lights below a relieving arch. Six panel door - top 2 raised and fielded; patterned rectangular light above; brackets to lintel. Curved doorstep. Closed area. East elevation; 3 bays with plat band and cornice returned; central bay breaks forward and has a pediment within the parapet. Rear: 3 bays. Tripartite windows with relieving arches 1st and ground floors. Venetian windows with pointed glazing in centre light to centre of 1st and 2nd floors. Interior: fine carved Adam style chimney pieces.

Listing NGR: NU1850213582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235600
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/02055/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alastair Cochrane. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].