CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041557
Date first listed:
03-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041557 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 09:38:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Hackleton
National Grid Reference:
SP 78842 55679

Details

HACKLETON PRESTON DEANERY SP75NE 4/121 Church of St. Peter and St. 03/05/68 Paul

- II*

Church. C12, repaired c.1622; chancel repaired and altered 1808 and again in 1854 by E.F. Law. Coursed limestone rubble with ironstone dressings; slate roofs. Chancel, nave and west tower. Chancel has 3-light east window with C19 Perpendicular tracery, set in larger round-arched opening with keyblock. Datestone above inscribed "CN/1808". Blocked chamfered Tudor-arched door to north and 2-light chamfered stone mullion window to north-west at high level with hood mould. South side of chancel has central 3-light arched mullion window with hood mould, blocked pointed arched window immediately to right, blocked 1-light low-side window to far left with pointed trefoil-headed light and transom, and blocked chamfered priest's door with round-arched head. Nave has 4-light arched mullion window to north with hood mould, chamfered Tudor-arched south door with hood mould flanked by similar 2-light windows, all probably dating from C17 repairs. Tower has pilaster buttresses to middle of each side. Blocked door to left of buttress to north with round-arched head and pointed trefoil-headed piscina to far left. Small round-arched windows to middle stage and 2-light bell-chamber openings with quatrefoils to heads except for east side which has original 1-light round-arched openings either side of buttress. Battlemented parapet. Off-set buttresses flank east window and chancel has chamfered stone eaves. Interior: chancel has simple sedilia, piscina and aumbry. Unmoulded round-headed chancel arch with carved imposts. Tall narrow round-headed tower arch with moulded imposts, with similar wider inner arch. Font is inset in north pier of tower arch and has polygonal stem and bowl. 2 hatchments, oil on canvas. Brass to Clement Edmonds, d.1622 and his wife Mary. Standing wall monument signed H. Cox to Elizabeth wife of Purbeck Langham who died 1736. Plinth has plain pilasters to angles. Inscription is flanked by fluted Doric pilasters bearing triglyph frieze and broken pediment flanked by lamp finials and framing gadrooned urn with cartouche of arms to base and gilded flame finial. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p379; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, p281)

Listing NGR: SP7884255679

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235521
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 379
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 281

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/04512/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].