COQUET HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1041738

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: COQUET HOUSE, THE BUTTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of COQUET HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041738 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:45:38.

Location

Statutory Address: COQUET HOUSE, THE BUTTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Warkworth

National Grid Reference: NU 24914 05949

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 2405 WARKWORTH THE BUTTS (West side) 22/257 Coquet House

II

House and attached outbuildings. Early C18 remodelled c.1822. Squared stone; Welsh slate roof with one stack rebuilt in orange brick. Irregular parallelogram in plan. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Left-of-centre renewed panelled door with 5-pane overlight. Left two renewed 12-pane sashes; right blocked doorway and two similar windows, one inserted in a second blocked door. All ground-floor windows have keyed supra-lintels. Large upper windows with timber lintels, holding paired 8-pane sashes. Coped gables; end stacks, left rebuilt on old base.

Left return shows 4-pane attic casement and 1-bay early C19 wing raised on C18 outshut. Right return shows boarded attic window and attached outbuildings to right. Rear elevation: 12-pane sash stair window, in outshut, and 2 similar windows in gable end of C19 wing on right. Attached outbuilding range on left has inner return with boarded door, boarded double doors under timber lintel, 9-pane casement and boarded door with 4-pane overlight.

Interior: 6-panel doors and panelled shutters throughout. Open-well stone stair, brought from Brandenburgh House London c.1822, has wrought-iron anthemion-pattern balustrade, wreathed and moulded handrail and curtail step. Early C19 cast-iron fireplaces.

Historical note: Said to have been built for the Duke's fisherman. Early C19 remodelling perhaps by Mr. John Forster who bought fittings from Brandenburgh House to Warkworth House (now Warkworth House Hotel, q.v.).



Listing NGR: NU2491405949

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 237148

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing