THE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1041781

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: THE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041781 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 17:55:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newton-by-the-Sea

National Grid Reference: NU 18640 24158

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 12 SE NEWTON-BY-THE-SEA DOXFORD HALL

2/164 The Hall

GV II

House. 1818 by John Dobson for Henry Taylor; enlarged and remodelled 1910 by Robert Mauchlen. Ashlar: Graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh slates on some rear parts. 1818 parts in a plain Grecian style, 1910 extensions in a free Classical style. Overall L-plan.

Entrance (east) front in two parts. Left section is the 2-storey 5-bay main block. Plinth, 1st floor and sill bands. 3 steps up to central distyle-in- antis Greek Dorio porch with later glazing. Renewed 12-pane sash windows, the lower with moulded sills. Plain frieze and boldly-projecting eaves cornice. Hipped roof. To right is a lower 3-bay wing with similar fenestration and 2 stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks. On far right the 1910 east wing projects: 4-bay inner return shows similar fenestration except for projecting end bay which is a gatehouse. This has broad panelled end pilasters flanking distyle screen with plain Doric columns and lintels. Moulded and keyed roundel above, holding sundial, is flanked by 12-pane sashes. Pyramidal roof with central stepped-and-corniced stacks. In angle of wings is stone external stair: circular plan, with stair bifurcating around pillar carrying sundial; balustraded handrails; upper door under quadrant-plan stone canopy with frieze, swept cap and owl finial.

South front shows similar detail and fenestration.

North elevation: Gatehouse on far left has flat arch on columns with moulded caps, under cornice and keyed semicircular arch holding domed recess with statue; flanking circular radial-glazed windows in raised surrounds.

West elevation: Main block has projecting stair wing with large leaded round-arched window above flat-roofed single-storey extension with pedimented centre; most windows plain sashes.

Interior largely early C20. Open-well stair with wrought-iron handrail. Panelled sitting room with carved oak overmantel, ship painting and coffered plaster ceiling. Dining room in east wing has panelled plaster ceiling, wood columns and C17-style end fireplace with stone band.

Altered pent-roofed sun lounge at south-west corner is not of special interest.



Listing NGR: NU1864024158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 237055

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing