CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041795
Date first listed:
31-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LESBURY VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041795.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 23:19:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, LESBURY VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lesbury
National Grid Reference:
NU 23682 11705

Details

NU 2311 LESBURY LESBURY VILLAGE (North side)

19/98 Church of 31.12.69 St. Mary

GV II*

Parish Church. Core probably C12; north aisle and chapel added and chancel remodelled in C13; east window mid-C14; late or post-medieval part rebuilding of tower; vestry probably C17; 1849 restoration including refacing and part rebuilding of south wall, addition of south porch, new parapet and roof to tower and re-cutting of much internal detail; chancel arcade altered 1853. Squared stone; large squared masonry of C12 type in tower, roughly-squared stone in vestry, C19 parts tooled stone; cut dressings, tooled-and-margined in C19 parts. Graduated Lakeland slate roofs except for Welsh slates on chancel. Plan: Nave with west tower, south porch and 2-bay north aisle; chancel with 2-bay north aisle and north-east vestry.

Tower shows complex evidence of rebuilding and repair; plinth, stepped and chamfered set-backs at mid-height and irregular stepped clasping buttress at south-west corner. West window is C19 lancet; slatted belfry openings with plain pointed heads, set north of centre in east and west walls; no openings on north. C19 parapet on block corbels; pyramidal roof with weathercock.

South side of nave all of 1849; large stepped buttress at west end; gabled porch,with C20 glazed doors in double-chamfered arch under worn sundial, enclosing studded double doors under moulded round arch on shafted jambs, possibly copy of C12 original; one lancet to west of porch and three to east. North aisle shows medieval masonry heightened in C19; old stepped buttresses, blocked north door and blocked small square-headed windows; C19 lancets.

South side of chancel is 1849 refacing with C13 features reproduced; three bays with chamfered plinth, shallow buttresses, lancets and priest's door. C14 3-light east window cutting C13 chamfered string course; clasping buttresses and C19 trefoil opening in rebuilt gable. North chapel shows restored C14- style 3-light window. Vestry shows old studded door on east in chamfered stone surround, with blocked window over; C19 two-light window and older blocked loop on north. Coped gables on moulded kneelers, with finial crosses.

Interior plastered except for north aisle. Tall double-chamfered tower arch on half-round responds. Arcade of broad double-chamfered arches with circular pier and responds with heavy chamfered impost band carried back on both wall faces. Similar but taller chancel arch; chancel arcade again similar but without the impost band. All detail heavily re-cut. Chancel has retooled trefoiled piscina on south and restored rebated square aumbry on north. Nave has C19 roof of collar-beam trusses with upper king posts, with braces rising from re-cut stone corbels. 5-bay chancel roof has heavy cambered ties resting on re-cut or renewed corbels and carrying purlins, ridge and separate straining- pieces linking the tie faces below the ridge; ties; purlins and straining pieces have relief-carved flower and leaf bosses, grotesque animals and Percy emblems. Old studded door from chapel to vestry.

C15 octagonal font carved with Percy crescents and fetterlocks. Old creed and pater boards flanking chancel arch; commandments board and George III royal arms under tower. Mid-C18 mural tablet in chancel to Garret family of Wooden; some C19 ledger stones.



Listing NGR: NU2368211705

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236989
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/02010/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].