This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHRISTON BANK FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHRISTON BANK FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1041821

Location

CHRISTON BANK FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Embleton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236949

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NU 22 SW EMBLETON CHRISTON BANK FARM

3/59 Christon Bank Farmhouse

GV II

House. Early C18, perhaps incorporating older fabric; extended later C18. Rendered except squared tooled stone on left return and rubble outshut; roof front slope mixed blue and green slates, Welsh slates to rear; C20 white brick stacks.

South elevation 2 storeys, 3 + 5 bays. Oldest part to right: Central renewed door; 12-pane sash windows except for two 4-pane sashes ground floor right. Left part also has 12-pane sashes. All windows with slightly-projecting sills. Banded end and 2 ridge stacks. On left return pent outbuilding with 2 boarded doors and 12-pane attic sash; right return shows small attic window. Rear outshut has 2 flush-panelled doors, one with 3-pane overlight, and several small-paned sashes; several openings have raised stone surrounds.

Interior: Fielded-panel doors throughout. East drawing room has early C18 panelled wall with 2-panel cupboard doors and fluted pilasters flanking late C18 Gothick fireplace. West drawing room has stone fireplace with architrave, swell frieze and mantel; dentil cornice. Old kitchen fireplace at west end of house has cambered timber lintel. Closed-string dogleg stair in outshut, probably re-assembled in late C18 or C19, has urn-on-vase balusters, ramped moulded handrail and square panelled newels. Simple C18 fireplaces in bedrooms. Extension has collared common-rafter roof with tenoned and pegged collars and carpenter's numbering; early C18 part has later common-rafter roof with halved and nailed collars.

Historical note: The east part of the house may have been built soon after Robert Christon purchased lands here in 1698; the western extension (which may incorporate an earlier single-storey range) and outshut were probably built after the Taylor family purchased the farm in 1759.



Listing NGR: NU2106422354

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 21064 22354

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 12:57:50.

End of official listing