TOGSTON HALL (NORTHERN AREA OFFICE OF BRITISH COAL OPENCAST EXECUTIVE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041833
Date first listed:
31-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
TOGSTON HALL (NORTHERN AREA OFFICE OF BRITISH COAL OPENCAST EXECUTIVE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOGSTON HALL (NORTHERN AREA OFFICE OF BRITISH COAL OPENCAST EXECUTIVE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041833.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 08:21:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOGSTON HALL (NORTHERN AREA OFFICE OF BRITISH COAL OPENCAST EXECUTIVE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Togston
National Grid Reference:
NU 25171 02635

Details

TOGSTON NORTH TOGSTON NU 20 SE 8/215 Togston Hall (Northern Area 31/12/69 Office of British Coal Opencast Executive) GV II*

House. Oldest part probably a C16 bastle (re-set '1546' datestone); remodelling and addition of stair-wing probably dated by doorhead inscribed S 16 T F 85; east range added mid-C18; major additions in late C18 with new front block, perhaps by William Newton, and west extension to bastle; some alterations in early C20. C16/17 parts large irregular rubble with roughly- shaped quoins; east range and west extension squared stone; front block ashlar except for roughly-squared stone on east. Welsh slate roofs with stacks rebuilt in brick. Irregular H-plan; original house, with east range and west extension,forms north cross-wing, with stair and kitchen in centrepiece and front block with main reception rooms as south cross-wing.

South elevation: Front block 2 storeys, 5 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, sill and 1st floor bands. 2 steps up to central old part-glazed door in surround with attached columns and pediment; 12-pane sash windows. Moulded eaves cornice carried as open pediment over centre bay. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks rebuilt on old bases. Set back to right, behind garden wall is 3-bay east range: C20 porch on far left to doorway with re-set '1546' lintel; boarded door and sash windows with glazing bars. Coped right end gable and end stack.

Right return has similar sashes,some renewed, one trompe l'oeil. Left return similar to south front (except for 1 trompe l'oeil). Set back left stair wing has Venetian window with intersecting head. Projecting far left bay is west extension of bastle with plinth, late C18 sashes, moulded eaves cornice and hipped roof; on right return are bastle end quoins and blocked 1st floor slit.

Rear elevation: Right part is original bastle with boulder plinth, short west extension and projecting stair wing; to left of wing 12-pane sashes under timber lintels, and a blocked slit at mid-height; to right are bastle end quoins. Wing has C18 windows, coped gable with moulded kneelers and a small apex stack; chamfered lights on returns, 2 blocked. Left part is rear of east range, with casements.

Interior: Front entrance hall has moulded cornice and Venetian screen to stair; ground-floor rooms have corniced door surrounds, C19 marble fireplaces and enriched cornices - east room with harebell pattern, west room with fluting and dentils. Dog-leg open-string stair with stick balusters, ramped moulded handrail and newels. Original fireplaces in bedrooms. Fielded-panel doors and shutters throughout. Twin segmental-arched fireplaces in former kitchen. Extensive cellars with brick segmental vaults under front block. Older rear part: Bastle has metre-thick walls and central C17 door on south with inscribed lintel, now a cupboard. Segmental-arched fireplace on ground floor; C18 fireplaces and old beams on 1st floor; 4-bay upper-cruck roof with collars and 2 levels of purlins. C18 or early C19 wrought-iron grates in all fireplaces.

Historical note: The house belonged to the Smith family from the early C17 until the C19; a medieval tower a little to the north-west was demolished in 1820.



Listing NGR: NU2517102635

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236884
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/01730/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Swearman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].