ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041910
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Aug-1987
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041910.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 01:35:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Thropton
National Grid Reference:
NU 02942 02203

Details

THROPTON THROPTON VILLAGE NU 00 SW (South side) 16/313 Roman Catholic Church of All Saints 21.10.53 (formerly listed as All Saints RC Church) GV II*

Roman Catholic Church; late C18 or early C19, altered 1842. Horizontally- tooled stone except for west end, tooled-and-margined stone with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. Aisleless rectangular plan, with presbytery (q.v.) adjoining east end. 1842 west end has boarded double doors in large moulded arch beneath 2 carved niches with corbelled sills holding figures of saints. Expanded-arm cross in gable and gabled bellcote with twin pointed arches and Greek cross finial. Stepped diagonal buttresses carrying small pinnacles. Built into wall on right of door is copy of C18 inscribed stone, the original being set in the adjacent graveyard wall (q.v.). South wall 5 bays; sill band, 2-light Y-tracery windows with hoodmoulds. 2 similar windows on north, the eastern blocked.

Interior: Plastered. Internal 3-sided apse beyond pendant screen of 3 pointed arches with crocketed pinnacle in spandrels: panelled rear wall with similar arches on paired rounded pilasters. Moulded stone font.

The Church originated as a chapel attached to Thropton Old Hall.

Listing NGR: NU0294202203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236659
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11323/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].