THE DYE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1041926

Date first listed: 15-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: THE DYE HOUSE, GUYZANCE BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DYE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041926 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2019 at 12:31:31.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DYE HOUSE, GUYZANCE BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Acklington

National Grid Reference: NU 20610 02956

Details

ACKLINGTON GUYZANCE BRIDGE NU 20 SW 7/23 The Dye House II GV

Mill building. 1775, converted into flats 1968. Squared stone with roughly- tooled dressings (except for top floor, brick in Dutch bond). Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 14 windows. Each floor slightly recessed. Ground floor shows C20 openings; upper floors have 2-pane casements with slightly-projecting sills, those on top floor under segmental arches. Coped gables. The two left bays are a 1985 extension in facsimile. Similar fenestration to rear. Initially built as a foundry for tin and iron, and converted to a woollen mill by John Reed in 1791, remaining in use as such until 1884; the derelict building was taken over by Ellwood Holmes of Newcastle in 1915 to make Hydrate of Alumina, a white pigment previously obtained from Germany. A Gilks water turbine in the millrace provided hydroelectric power, the mill being one of the first business premises thus lit in the country. The factory closed in 1930 after pollution of the river caused the Duke of Northumberland to refuse renewal of the lease.

Listed for historical interest.

Listing NGR: NU2061002956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236693

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing