CHURCH OF ST MAURICE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041975
Date first listed:
31-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MAURICE, EGLINGHAM VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MAURICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041975.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 21:53:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MAURICE, EGLINGHAM VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Eglingham
National Grid Reference:
NU 10616 19463

Details

EGLINGHAM EGLINGHAM VILLAGE NU 1019 (South side, off) 19/170 Church of 31.12.69 St. Maurice GV II*

Parish church. Fabric of uncertain medieval date in nave, north chapel and chancel; west tower later C13; nave and chancel partly rebuilt c.1650; south wall of nave rebuilt again late C18; vestry dated 1826 on lintel; south transept added, east end rebuilt, and north chapel partly rebuilt c.1837 by J. Green; porch 1865; designed by Archdeacon Coxe; tower parapet and spire rebuilt 1870; east window replaced early C20. Medieval and C17 parts rubble except for tower of large squared stone; C18/19 parts squared stone; Welsh slate roofs and spire. Aisleless nave with west tower, north-west porch, north chapel (Ogle Pew) and south transept; chancel with north vestry.

Nave has two 2-light windows on south, C18 altered c.1837; two C18 lancets and C19 stepped buttress on north. 2 small blocked lancets on west, flanking tower with tall chamfered plinth and set-back below belfry; stepped stair projection on north. West lancet with square-headed window over, high-set lancet on south above blocked loop, paired lancet belfry openings. Parapet and octagonal spire with slate-hung lucarnes and wrought-iron finial cross. Porch has plinth, moulded sill string and linked hoodmoulds. 2-light window on north and boarded door on west under gables. North chapel has C19 2-light window on north and moulded doorway on west; south transept has chamfered plinth, angle buttresses, 4-light south window and 2-light east and west windows. Chancel has priests' door flanked by windows of 3 round-headed lights, all under hoodmoulds; 3-light east window. Vestry has blocked doorway on east and 3-light window on north. Coped gables on moulded kneelers; ring- cross finials.

Interior plastered except for east wall of nave. Chamfered round chancel arch on chamfered imposts is probably a C17 re-use of older material. C19 arches elsewhere. Nave, chapel and transept have collar-beam roofs on moulded corbels; chancel has early C20 boarded barrel ceiling with moulded wall plate on carved corbels. Inside tower, rebated arched cupboard on 1st floor. Blocked lancet on east may be early C13 west window of nave prior to addition of tower.

Old box pews in south transept, 2 with brass nameplates. Pulpit, reading desk and lectern of 1905; carved panels with linenfold and tracery. Carved and moulded octagonal font dated 1663. Cross slab of c.1530 with arms of Henry Ogle, in floor of north chapel. 1808 wall tablet to Rev. Jas. Somerville '24 Years Minister of the Dissenting Congregation of Branton', in south transept; some old ledger stones in chancel, and C19 wall tablets in nave. East window Transfiguration, dated 1908. 2 medieval bells in tower: C13 or early C14 trebf inscribed 'AIRAM EVA', tenor (from Old Bewick) inscribed '+ Antonises minen name ic ben gemacet int iaer MCCCCLXXXIX' (not seen). In porch C12 font bowl from Branton, head of C15 cross slab and C18 headstone.

Listing NGR: NU1061619463

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236511
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00062/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].