Hartburn War Memorial
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1042078
Date first listed: 30-Jan-1986
Statutory Address: Hartburn, Morpeth
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042078 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 18:17:36.
Statutory Address: Hartburn, Morpeth
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference: NZ 08903 86072
First World War memorial, 1921, by Sir Edwin Lutyens with later additions for the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Hartburn War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principle reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architect: by the nationally renowned architect Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens (1869-1944), who designed extant 58 memorials at home and abroad including the Cenotaph in Whitehall;
* Design: a simple yet elegant War Cross.
Hartburn’s war memorial was paid for by Mr and Mrs Straker of the nearby Angerton Hall, for whom Lutyens and his long-time collaborator Gertrude Jekyll had designed the Hall’s gardens in 1904. It was built by HJ Robinson of Clay House, Meldon, and was unveiled on 31 July 1921 by Colonel EPA Riddell CMG DSO, the commander of the Northumberland Infantry Brigade.
Sir Edwin Lutyens OM RA (1869-1944) was the leading English architect of his generation. Before the First World War his reputation rested on his country houses and his work at New Delhi, but during and after the war he became the pre-eminent architect for war memorials in England, France and the British Empire. While the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) had the most influence on other war memorials, the Thiepval Arch was the most influential on other forms of architecture. He designed the Stone of Remembrance which was placed in all Imperial War Graves Commission cemeteries and in some cemeteries in England, including some with which he was not otherwise associated.
Hartburn’s war memorial stands on a small triangular green in the centre of the hamlet. It comprises a War Cross with deeply bevelled edges set on a chunky, two-stepped, base. On the south face of the base is inscribed PASS FRIEND ALL IS WELL/ 1914 HARTBURN 1919. On the north face is 1939 HARTBURN 1945.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online, the War Memorials Register and North East War Memorials Project. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 12 September 2018.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 238272
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Skelton, T, Gliddon, G, Lutyens and the Great War, (2008), 83, 169
North East War Memorials Project, accessed 12 September 2018 from http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=7495
War Memorials Online, accessed 8 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/219140
War Memorials Register, accessed 8 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33909
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing