CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1042127
Date first listed:
20-Oct-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, LONGHIRST VILLAGE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042127.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2020 at 21:24:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, LONGHIRST VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Longhirst
National Grid Reference:
NZ 22540 88873

Details

LONGHIRST LONGHIRST VILLAGE NZ 2288 (East side) 11/36 Church of St. John the Evangelist 20.10.69 GV II

Parish Church, 1876, by Sir Arthur Blomfield. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; red tile roof. Nave with south aisle and north-west tower/porch, chancel with south organ chamber and north vestry. Free C13 style with Geometric tracery. High chamfered plinth, stepped buttresses,clasping buttresses to tower and eastern arms, moulded sill string, hollow-chamfered eaves cornice, foliage stops to hoodmoulds.

Tower has double doors in triple-chamfered arch, lancet over. Chamfered, set-back belfry stage. Heavy eaves corbel table and broach spire rock-faced up to a moulded string, upper part with 4 lucarnes; stair turret on west. 3-bay north wall of nave has two 2-light windows and lancet. West end: tall 2-light window flanked by lancets, and set back to right west aisle lancet. String course over head of central window. South wall has low eaves, two 2-light windows in half dormers. Chancel arms have 2-light windows with pierced circles above, Y-tracery windows on single lancets. Stepped triplet in east end. Both gable ends coped with crosses.

Interior plastered,with ashlar features. 4-bay south arcade with clustered columns alternately of marble. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch on colonnettes over stone corbels. Aumbry on north and sedilia on south chancel wall. East lancets have black marble jamb shafts and hoodmould with leafy carved stops. Arch-braced timber roofs, the chancel panelled; aisle dormer roofs with hip rafters and collars. Chancel screen carved by the Rev. Proctor (vicar 1885-1916) and his parishioners; screens to vestry and organ chamber. Carved stone reredos in panelled east wall. Original tiled floors, elaborately patterned in sanctuary. Well-carved bench seating in nave and choir, the latter with poppy-head bench ends.

Listing NGR: NZ2254088873

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238180
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02328/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Wilkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].