CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1042179
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042179 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 22:24:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ford
National Grid Reference:
NT 92862 39399

Details

FORD ETAL NT 9239 16/76 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 21.9.51 GV II

Church. 1858 by William Butterfield for Lady Fitz Clarence. Pink sandstone ashlar with dressings and bands of beige sandstone. Graduated Lakeland slate roofs with cresting of tiles. Decorated style. Nave, chancel, north porch, south chapel and vestry.

Three-bay nave has porch to right with pointed-arched doorways, semicircular responds with moulded capitals and very steeply-pitched roof with foliated- cross finial. One-light cusped windows. Gabled buttress marks junction of nave and chancel. Against chancel a lean-to vestry, with trefoil-headed doorway on right return. Three-light west and east windows. Extremely high and steeply-pitched roof. Steeply-gabled bellcote between nave and chancel has a pair of cusped ogee bell openings and above an oval opening with two mouchettes and a quatrefoil. South chapel under separate and similar roof; rose window in east end; west end has 2-light window and, beneath, a doorway with shouldered lintel.

Interior: broad chancel arch with semicircular responds. Low wrought-iron screen and chancel gates. Two 3-light Decorated openings into south chapel. Piscina with Decorated open-work tracery. Wrought-iron altar rails. Nave has king-post roof. Chancel is half a scissor-brace roof and half boarded, the beams painted with stars and rosettes.

Listing NGR: NT9286239399

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238043
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].