CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1042207

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 23:02:19.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Cornhill-on-Tweed

National Grid Reference: NT 85843 39239

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CORNHILL-ON-TWEED CORNHILL-ON-TWEED NT 83 NE 9/35 Church of St. Helen GV II

Parish church. 1840 by Ignatius Bonomi, incorporating masonry from church of 1751. Altered and chancel added 1866. Nave random rubble, chancel snecked stone; Welsh slate roof.

Nave, chancel and north porch.

4-bay nave has paired lancets with trefoiled windows above. West bay has 2 tiers of paired cusped windows. West end has projection with offsets rising to gabled bellcote. In the projection a window with shouldered lintel. Left and right are groups of 3 lancets, the central lancet blank. One-bay chancel has 3-light Geometric east window. Gabled porch on north side has door with shouldered lintel.

Interior: West gallery of 1840 on 2 Tuscan columns; modillion cornice and pulvinated frieze; the parapet bears a mid C18 carving of Collingwood arms in a frame of open-work Rococo mantling;moulded and ramped top rail. 2 large Collingwood hatchments of the early C19. Pulpit and reading desk, probably of 1840, have arched panels, waterleaf columns at angles, and brass candleholders.

Listing NGR: NT8584339239

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238002

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing