CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1042253
Date first listed:
15-May-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042253.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Aug-2020 at 05:56:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lowick
National Grid Reference:
NU 01192 39649

Details

NU 0139 LOWICK MAIN STREET (North side)

13/101 Church of St. John

GV II

Parish Church. Nave and tower 1794, Gothicized mid C19. Chancel added 1887 by F.R. Wilson. Tower and nave roughcast with ashlar dressings. Chancel snecked rubble. Rock-faced buttresses. Lakeland slate roof.

Nave, chancel, west tower and north vestry.

Nave and tower have rusticated quoins. Tower has pointed-arched south door. Inscription above.

THIS CHAPEL REBUILT AN DOM 1794 REV GEORGE GOODWILL MINISTER WILL SMITH CHAPEL GEO HALL THO HILL WARDENS GEO SAMPLE HENRY PENNY SELBY MORTON ARCHIT

Band above and paired lancet bell openings. C19 saddleback roof.

4-bay nave with paired lancets.

3-bay chancel with lancets. 5-light east window with Geometric tracery.

Gabled roof with flat coping.

Interior has Victorian hammer-beam roof. Nave south window with figures of St. George and St. Constance, in style of Morris and Co. 1902. Reredos has late C19 naturalistic carving.

Listing NGR: NU0119239649

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237809
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/07822/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Cuthbert. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].