Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042269.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:27:00.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NU 17849 34968


BAMBURGH CHURCH STREET NU 1734 (North side) 17/32 Church of St. Aidan 22.12.69 GV I Parish church. C12, C13 and C14. Restored 1830 and later C19. Squared stone and ashlar; chancel and north transept have stone slate roofs; other roofs not visible. West tower, nave, aisles, transepts and chancel.

Tower C13 or early C14. 4 stages with offsets. Y-tracery window on ground floor, lancet bell openings; top storey C19 with battlements.

Aisles embrace tower. South aisle rebuilt early C14; renewed 2- and 3-light Decorated windows. C19 south door. Low-pitched roof behind parapet.

South transept also has renewed Decorated windows.

C13, 5-bay chancel with crypt. Paired lancets under continuous dripstone. Former priest's door in 2nd bay has surround of l83O with high gable. Rainwater. heads dated 1830 with arms of Lord Crewe. East end has 3 lancets of even height separated by buttresses. Corbel table, parapet and steeply-pitched roof.

North transept in small squared C12 stone has narrow east lancet (cf interior), renewed Decorated windows elsewhere. Steeply-pitched roof.

North aisle in larger Medieval ashlar has 4 renewed Decorated windows.

Interior: Indications of earlier Romanesque church include round rere-arch of north transept east window, masonry of south transept north wall, and uneven build of east end of nave. 3 triple-chamfered tower arches. 4-bay nave has late C12 - early C13 north arcade with round piers, simply-moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches; 3rd pier has stiff-leaf capital, east arch is very narrow. South arcade similar but slightly later. Transept arches have 2 slight chamfers towards nave and north aisle, unmoulded towards transept; very wide C14 double-chamfered arch into south aisle.

C16 clerestory windows, now beneath roof; also C16 square newel stair in tower. Tower ceiling includes old forked beam associated with legend of death of St. Aidan. North aisle has old arched tiebeams.

Chancel: Double-chamfered chancel arch with large Decorated squint to right. Arcaded side walls with pairs of arches rising over each pair of lancets and narrow arch between; they rise from corbels which were formerly the capitals of shafts which have been removed. C14 sedilia, piscina and aumbry. C14 tomb recess with effigy of Knight. 2 low-side windows, the south one blocked. Elaborate C19 open timber roof. C17 altar rails. Wall monuments to:- Claudius Forster, 1623, a cartouche in aedicule; Forster family, 1711, large and well- carved. Large stone reredos with statues of saints, 1895 by W.S. Hicks.

North aisle: recumbent effigy of Grace Darling, 1844 by Raymond Smith, formerly in the churchyard; Sharpe memorial of 1839 by Chantrey. Hatchments in nave.

Vaulted 2-bay crypt with cinquepartite rib vaults rising from corbels.

Listing NGR: NU1784334964


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06990/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].