COUPLAND CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1042343
Date first listed:
21-Sep-1951
Statutory Address:
COUPLAND CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COUPLAND CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042343.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Mar-2020 at 09:19:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
COUPLAND CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ewart
National Grid Reference:
NT 93534 31156

Details

NT 93 SW EWART COUPLAND

3/33 Coupland Castle 21/9/51

GV I

Country house. C16, C17, C18 and 1820-25. Random rubble including massive porphyry blocks, partly roughcast. Ashlar dressings and Scottish slate roofs.

Towerhouse, built after 1584, with irregular later additions.

Towerhouse: 4 storeys. 47 ft. x 29 ft. C19 12-pane sashes in moulded surrounds. Projecting parapet on original rounded corbels. C19 battlements. Gabled roof behind parapet with original stone-flagged walkway around.

Slightly later extension to tower on left, forming T-plan for these early parts. Similar windows. Continuous moulded corbel table below parapet. Pyramidal roof and circular stair turret.

2-storey, 3-bay house of c.1820-25 attached to left. Central battlemented porch tower with Tudor-arched entrance and oriel window above on moulded corbels. Plaster rib vault in porch. 2-storey canted bay window to right and 3-light mullioned windows to left. Battlemented parapet and false gable behind porch.

Left return has work of 1820-25 on right and 3-bay C18 house to left with 12-pane sash windows in raised surrounds.

Rear facade irregular.

Interior: Tower has vaulted basement, subdivided later into 2 rooms. Original narrow stone newel stair starts from 1st floor in corbelled-out semicircular projection now partly inside later addition to tower, which also contains a broader and later stone newel stair from ground to 1st floor. Base of this stair has round-arched doorway with roll-moulded surround, probably early C17. Similar doorway into kitchen range to rear. Base of original tower has late C17 or early C18 doorway with bolection-moulded surround. On 1st floor of tower a large fireplace dated GW 1619 MW for George and Mary Wallis. The initials set in decorative recessed panels. Tudor-arched lintel. C19 section has contemporary decoration including fine doors, cornices with Greek key pattern, cantilevered stair with wrought-iron balustrade. Several early C19 fireplaces and one late C18 wood fireplace with Corinthian columns and relief carving in lintel, brought from elsewhere.

Hist. of Northumberland Vol. VII.

A.A. New Series XXV 1904 by Rev. Culley.

Listing NGR: NT9353431156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237609
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 25, (1904)
Crawford Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parish of Edlingham with the Chapelry of Bolton The Parish of Felton with the Chapelery of Framlingham The Chapelry or Parish of Brinkburn, , Vol. 7, (1904)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].