AKELD BASTLE AND ATTACHED WALLING TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1042370
Date first listed:
14-May-1986
Statutory Address:
AKELD BASTLE AND ATTACHED WALLING TO SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of AKELD BASTLE AND ATTACHED WALLING TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042370 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:50:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
AKELD BASTLE AND ATTACHED WALLING TO SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Akeld
National Grid Reference:
NT 95767 29408

Details

NT 92 NE AKELD AKELD

8/4 Akeld Bastle and attached walling to south GV II*

Bastle-house forerunner, now animal shelter. Late medieval, upper storey probably rebuilt late C16 or C17. Random rubble walls 5 ft. thick with dressed stone quoins. Welsh slate roof.

2 storeys c.62 x 25 ft.

Original doorway to right of long west wall has chamfered surround with drawbar holes. Relieving arch over. Later door to left. 3 small shuttered windows on 1st floor. Gabled roof with flat raised coping.

On right return a double outside stone stair to boarded 1st floor door.

On left return 4 slit windows to ground floor. Dovecote above with five stone alighting ledges and 12 holes in stone screens.

Interior has impressive high round tunnel vault.

Field wall attached on right return and stretching c.1OO yards south is very substantially constructed, over 5 ft. high, has a pronounced batter and may partly represent the former barmkin.

Northumberland County History Vol. Archeologia Aeliana 3rd Series IX (1913).

Listing NGR: NT9576729408

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237580
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Northumberland, (1940)
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 9, (1913)
Other
Battlefields Register,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08291/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Don Brownlow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].