Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042412.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 12:04:23.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NU 06800 22149



8/4 Church of Holy Trinity 21/9/51 I

Parish church. C12 with some C14 alterations. Restoration of 1866 when south porch, bellcote and vestry were added. Stone in vestry records repairs done in 1695. Roughly dressed coursed stone. Lakeland slate roof. Nave, chancel, south porch and north vestry. Nave has massive C12 masonry, the upper part of west wall rebuilt in C19 using old stone. 2 narrow round-headed windows and sexfoil rose window over are Victorian. South doorway in porch has one order of columns with block capitals, all much renewed. 2 C19 round-headed windows in nave south wall. North wall has one small C12 window. Similar, smaller window in chancel north wall. Larger round-headed window in south wall may be partly original (rere-arch) but enlarged later. Apsidal east end, roughly squared externally in C14 when 2-light window with cusped heads was inserted in south wall. 2 offset buttresses support apse. Upper courses of apse and north side rebuilt in C19. Narrow priest's door. Victorian Romanesque double bellcote over east gable of nave.

Interior: chancel arch has semi-circular responds with different capitals: north side has cable-moulded echinus, 2 beast heads and leaf fonts, South side is halfway between block and scalloped shape. Abaci on both sides have saltire crosses. Arch has roll mould, hollow chamfer and outer billet moulding. Apse arch has plain responds with saltire crosses an blocks and billet moulding. C14 sandstone effigy of lady in chancel. Several grave slabs built into south porch and one, with foliated cross, in nave.

Listing NGR: NU0679022152


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11180/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth Robinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].