WILLIMONTSWICK FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1042497
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
WILLIMONTSWICK FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WILLIMONTSWICK FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042497.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 05:46:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
WILLIMONTSWICK FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bardon Mill
National Grid Reference:
NY 77064 63582

Details

NY 76 SE BARDON MILL WILLINONTSWICK

8/26 Willimontswick Farmhouse 24/11/67 (formerly listed as Willimonstwick) GV II*

Manor House, C16 probably incorporating earlier fabric, largely rebuilt c,1900. Coursed rubble, stone dressings, slate roofs. Double-ended hall-house plan, with narrow towers at ends of wings. Hall block and west wing rebuilt c.1900 in neo- Tudor style, retaining original north and south doors to screens passage. Front (north) door has elliptical arch under square head with hoodmould, partly renewed. Rear (south) door has more elaborate mouldings and carved foliage in the spandrels. The east range retains its narrow rectangular end towers each with remains of corbelled parapet. East front of range, between towers, has 4 altered sashes on 1st floor, with traces of older blocked openings. Interior: moulded doorway, newel stair and garderobe in tower not seen.

The original arrangement of a central block flanked by 4 slender towers, c.f. Farnhill House, North Yorkshire, probably derives from that seen on a grander scale at Langley Castle. The foundations of the west wing towers were seen early in the C20 when a tennis court was constructed.

J. Gibson, Proc. Soc. Ant. Newcastle, 4th Series II 1925 pp. 75-78

Listing NGR: NY7706463582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239275
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries, , Vol. 2, (1925), 75-78

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].