MITFORD HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1042650

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Statutory Address: MITFORD HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of MITFORD HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:21:18.

Location

Statutory Address: MITFORD HALL AND ATTACHED SCREEN WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Mitford

National Grid Reference: NZ 16476 85457

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MITFORD MITFORD HALL NZ 1685 9/30 Mitford Hall and attached screen wall 6.5.52 GV II* Country House. c.1800-1823 for the Mitford family, largely by John Dobson. Ashlar with graduated Lakeland slate roofs, except for Welsh slates on north- west wing. Villa with twin domestic wings to north, north-east wing partly demolished 1970.

West (entrance) front in 2 parts: main house symmetrical. 2 storeys, 3 bays, the central slightly recessed. Moulded plinth, 1st floor string. 3 steps up to central Greek Doric porch, distyle in antis, with panelled stone ceiling; within porch half-glazed double doors, with 2-pane overlight, in raised surround with dentil cornice. 12-pane sash windows with sunk panels below sills. Frieze and bold cornice below panelled parapet with balustraded section above each bay. Hipped roof with 2 transverse stepped-and-corniced compound ridge stacks. Lower wing, set back to left, 2 storeys, 5 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice. 16-pane sash windows except for 8-pane casements in projecting left bay with hipped roof. 2 tall rendered stepped-and-corniced ridge stacks.

4-bay south front with similar detail. East front: main house 5 bays, the central 3 slightly recessed and the end bay ground floor windows in architraves. Lower 4-bay wing to right. At far right a 2-bay screen wall returns to link with the now-separate east wing (q.v.).

Interior: Entrance lobby with mural tables on moulded brackets, and Classical frieze With figures. Open-well open-string stair with moulded and wreathed handrail, wrought- iron balusters with drooping lily motif, fluted newel and curtail step; stair hall has dog wheel from Mitford Old Manor House (q.v.) and coffered ceiling. Double drawing room divided by screen with antae and carved consoles; carved fireplaces of marble and crinoidal limestone, coved cornice with anthemia and Greek key ornament. Dining room has crinoidal limestone fireplace and Classical frieze with musicians. Study has elaborate fireplace with herms, and plaster overmantel with allegorical figures; cornice with consoles, large ceiling rose. Panelled shutters; 6-panel doors, formerly centre-hinged.

Listing NGR: NZ1647685457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238945

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing