- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- BLAGDON HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042662 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:22:03.
- Statutory Address:
- BLAGDON HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NZ 21567 77043
13/59 Blagdon Hall
Country House. 1730-1752 for Sir Matthew White, incorporating a little of an
earlier house; east front built first, a second phase of work including the
south front and the addition of the 2nd floor completed by 1752 (south front
rainwater heads, these by James Paine). Alterations 1778-1791 by James Wyatt
for Sir Matthew White Ridley; north wing c.1820 partly by John Dobson. Other
C19 parts removed, following 1944 fire, in 1948-1949 restoration by Robert
Lutyens. Tooled ashlar; Lakeland slate roof.
Entrance (east) front: 3 storeys, 7 bays, grouped 2,3,2. Narrow proportions. Renewed sash windows with glazing bars in architraves, those on 1st floor with swell friezes and cornices, the centre pedimented. Plinth, 1st floor band, ground and 1st floor sill bands. Projecting 2nd-floor sills. Top moulded cornice and coped parapet. Traces of giant pilasters and 2nd floor cornice removed in 1782. Low-pitched hipped roof with 2 compound transverse stacks with modillion cornices, and another at right end. Large rainwater heads with monograms dated 1945. Central door in pedimented Corinthian doorcase a 1948/9 insertion. Set back to right, plainer 6-bay north wing with small-paned sashes.
South front similar but of wider proportions, with some elongated ground floor windows; friezes and cornices on ground floor. All 1st floor windows pedimented, with coat of arms and garlands. Set back to left 1-storey, 3-bay extension of c.1820.
Interior: ground-floor rooms largely late C18. Entrance hall: plaster cornice, doors with Greek Key pattern in reveals, with frieze and cornice over each. Wyatt Room: good plasterwork, screen with fluted columns and fireplace with chimneypiece panel. Drawing Room (former Saloon): deep moulded and modillioned cornice, mahogany doors with carved panels, elaborate overdoors with oak-leaf friezes; window shutters with egg-and-dart. Dining Room: carved marble fireplace, classical ornament and frieze with urns and palmette over doors. Library of 1928 by Robert Lutyens, with earlier carved chimneypiece. Stairhall mid-C18: Roman Doric screen at foot and Ionic screen at head of open-string Imperial stair with stick balusters and ramped moulded handrail; plasterwork includes deep modillion cornice, Rococo swag and ceiling rose, perhaps by the Italian stuccatori who worked at Wallington. One mid-C18 panelled bedroom with bolection- moulded fireplace (with ornate ironwork) and door architraves; enriched cornice, fielded panelling. North (nursery) wing with early C19 doorcases and cornices. Cellars with brick barrel vaults; one part, not seen, has C17 fireplace and walling from earlier house.
Country Life CXII 188, 260 - and 396 et seq.
Listing NGR: NZ2156777043
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 18 August, , Vol. 62, (1952), 188
'Country Life' in 8 August, , Vol. 62, (1952), 260 396
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing