This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STORE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STORE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1042670

Location

STORE HOUSE, 13, SOUTH SIDE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Stamfordham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238888

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/04/2016.

NZ 0772 28/402

STAMFORDHAM SOUTH SIDE

Store House, No 13 (Formerly listed as: No. 13 THE GREEN (South side))

II GV

House. Late C17 or early C18. Altered 1744 and later. Squared stone with ashlar dressings. Left gable rebuilt C18 in brick. Welsh slate roof. Double span. 2 storeys, 3 windows. Rusticated quoins. Ground floor has 4 windows in architraves, the centre 2 renewals of 1985, 1st floor 3 windows in architraves, the centre one original with moulded sill and narrow 8-pane sash with thick glazing bars; outer windows are C18 enlargements with 12-pane sashes. Boldly- moulded eaves cornice. Steeply-pitched roof with renewed end stacks.

Doorway in early C20 porch on right return. Similar original windows in architraves. Decorative rainwater head, dated 1744.

Rear facade: 3 storeys, 3 bays of 8-pane and 2-pane sashes in original architraves to right. To left a large Venetian stair window.

Interior: 4-storey staircase, possibly re-set, with early C18 moulded and ramped handrail, splat balusters. Venetian window has fat Tuscan columns and rusticated arch. 2-panel doors in attic and basement. On 1st floor landing and in basement, 2 beams with bar-stop chamfers. C18 roof timbers.

The stair ends in a fine wreath in the present basement which was originally the ground floor until the ground level was raised to provide cellars in front of house, probably late C18 or early C19. The original front was of 5 bays, with a porch of round arches and triple keystones still partly embedded in present cellars; 2 large piers flanking the entrance are also visible.

Listing NGR: NZ0780872042

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 07805 72043

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042670 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:18:40.

End of official listing