THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1042720
Date first listed:
27-Aug-1952
Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, 1, NORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042720.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:43:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD RECTORY, 1, NORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ponteland
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16539 72906

Details

|this List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/04/2016.

NZ 1672 27/321 27.8.52

PONTELAND 1, North Road The Old Rectory

(Formerly Listed as: The Old Rectory, MAIN STREET)

II *

GV

Former Rectory, now private house. Early C18, heightened in the late C18. For Merton College who were the lay rectors of Ponteland. Brick in English Garden Wall Bond with stone plinth. Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys plus attics. 7 bays, the left 2 bays added almost immediately after the rest.

2-leaf, 6 panel door with overlight and semicircular hood, in 5th bay. 12-pane sashes in shallow reveals with flat arches. lst floor brick band. Gabled roof with flat coping, right end stack and 3 segment-headed dormer windows.

2-storey lean-to to rear has irregular openings with 12-pane sashes, Yorkshire sashes and 16-pane sashes.

Interior has late C18 stair with stick balusters. 2 early C18 panelled rooms (one in added 2-bay left section). Both have 2-panelled doors and wood cornices. One has fireplace with bolection-moulded surround and round-headed niche with shaped shelves.

Listing NGR: NZ1654272907

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238812
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00784/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Pearson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].