CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1042733
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, NEWGATE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 16:51:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, NEWGATE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Morpeth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 19804 86238

Details

MORPETH NEWGATE STREET (off) NZ 1986 (East side)

22/253 Church of St. James

11.8.50

GV II*

Church. 1842-6 by Benjamin Ferrey. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Romanesque style. A large and impressive church. Cruciform with nave and chancel aisles and crossing tower.

West end has portal with 2 orders of columns, 2 round-headed windows above and intersecting arches on second floor; flanking bays rise to form octagonal towers with short stone spires.

5-bay nave. North porch with 2 orders of columns and chevron mouldings. Shafted windows with cushion capitals and roll-moulded arches. Clerestory windows have beakhead in the arches. Round-arched corbel table to aisle; nave has corbel table with chevron moulding.

Large central tower with 2-light bell openings under high round arch and with flanking blank arches. Above this the wall is carved in imitation of tilework. Round stair projection in north-west corner rises above parapet as a turret. Apsidal chancel has arcade of round arches beneath eaves and billet frieze above.

Interior: Nave arcade has quatrefoil piers; chancel piers are round. Glass by Wailes. Frescoes in the chancel by Clayton and Bell.

Listing NGR: NZ1980486238

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238742
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00764/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Wilkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].