COLLINGWOOD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1042740
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1950
Statutory Address:
COLLINGWOOD HOUSE, OLDGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLLINGWOOD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 02:00:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLLINGWOOD HOUSE, OLDGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Morpeth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 19670 85978

Details

MORPETH OLDGATE NZ 1986 and (North side) NZ 1985 22/272 and 24/272 Collingwood House

11.8.50

GV ll*

Formerly house, now Catholic Presbytery. Late C18-early C19. Brick in Flemish bond with ashlar plinth. Lakeland slate roof. 2 storeys, 7 bays. Doorways in 1st and 5th bays; to left a 6-panel door with fanlight in surround with Tuscan pilaster and cornice; to right a 6-panel door with attached Tuscan columns. Ground floor has 2-pane sashes in plain reveals with stone sills and flat arches. Similar surrounds to 12-pane sashes on 1st floor. Gabled roof with flat coping and end stacks. Very long, 2-storey, rear wing with irregular openings including late C19 Gothic wood porch and round-headed stair window with intersecting glazing bars.

Inscription of 1905 recalls occupancy by Vice Admiral Lord Collingwood who lived here from 1791 until his death. Graded for historical interest.

Listing NGR: NZ1967085978

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238761
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00755/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Wilkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].