LONGWITTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1042907
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
LONGWITTON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONGWITTON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042907.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 17:29:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
LONGWITTON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Netherwitton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 08063 88619

Details

NETHERWITTON LONGWITTON NZ 08 NE 9/130 Longwitton Hall GV II House, west wing probably early C18 altered late C18, south-east block c.1840, later C19 extensions. Squared stone with dressings; south-east block tooled- and-margined stone with ashlar dressings; slate roofs. L-plan with later extruded additions. West front(to courtyard) 2 storeys, 8 bays, irregular. 6-panel door in 5th bay, boarded door with chamfered surround in 1st bay. Varied fenestration, mostly sashes; 3rd bay ground-floor window is a tripartite sash in a raised and chamfered stone surround, set in an earlier opening with a flat- arched lintel. 7th and 8th bays slightly taller with blind windows. Hipped roof with 3 stepped ridge stacks. Right return (to garden)3 bays; left bay is the end of the west wing and has plinth, sill bands and full-height canted bay with 12-pane sashes in chamfered surrounds and top cornice. South-east block to right has plinth, 1st floor band, angle pilasters and eaves cornice on block corbels; sash windows, some renewed, in raised chamfered surrounds.

Interior: 2 C18 fireplaces, one Gothick, in west wing. 2 re-set mid C18 Rococo carved wood chimney pieces, said to have been brought from Wallington Hall. Decorative plaster ceilings of c.1900. Cellar under west wing has stair constructed of sills and lintels from C17 single-light windows.

The house stands on a medieval site; the present south-east block probably replaces medieval work.

Listing NGR: NZ0806388619

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238363
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].