CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1042941
Date first listed:
15-Apr-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042941.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 09:55:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Allendale
National Grid Reference:
NY 83789 55957

Details

NY 8355 ALLENDALE MARKET PLACE(North side) Allendale Town 24/78 Church of St. Cuthbert 15.4.69 GV II

Parish church on medieval site. 1874 by Austin & Johnson, except for lower part of tower which survives from the church of 1807. Squared stone with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, west tower. Free C14 style. West tower has 4 stepped stages; pointed south doorway with hoodmould and stone above giving dates of rebuilding and restoration; paired pointed openings to belfry, embattled parapet with pinnacles, pyramid roof with vane. Aisle walls with windows,mostly of 2 lights,and stepped buttresses; sundial at west end of south wall inscribed HORA FUGIT 1842 LAT 54 50 (the latitude is cited as a reference to Allendale Town being geographically the centre of Britain). Similar fenestration in chancel, 3-light east window and C20 roof lights.

Interior: 4-bay nave arcades, chancel arch and 2-bay chancel arcades all in C14 style with hollow-chamfered arches and moulded capitals. Simple pointed tower arch of 1807. Fittings mostly later Cl9; elaborate reredos of yellow Italian marble and mosaic work dated 1887. Glass in north aisle by Atkinson brothers of Newcastle, 1906.

Listing NGR: NY8378955957

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
240198
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12988/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].